[Xastir] PHG settings, and Wide filtering

Kelly Boswell kellyboswell at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 15:24:31 EDT 2011

Curt and Lynn,

Thanks to each of you for your replies.

I had wondered if version 1.9.4 was a bit long in the tooth.  I'll read about  ver 2.0.

I had made a couple of attempts at installing xastir myself last month and realized the learning curve was steep for a guy who had not done anything with a command line since Windows 3.1.1   (And most of that was "batch files".)  So,I pushed aside my pride and asked a local friend for help.  I'm glad I did.  It took him five hours, but he got it running.   (I'd been humbled the previous week assembling my "TigerDirect bundle" --sometimes there is just NO position in which bifocals are helpful. <grin>)

When I read Lynn's response concerning filtering greater than Wide 3-3, I had a Homer Simpson moment.   Indeed, what I had seen WAS the Wide1-1 portion of the path, not the latter portion which was abusive. And, since the digipeater in my TinyTrak4 set to wide1-1/ AR1-1/ Temp1-1,  it was already being filtered by the digi and no filtering was needed in the I-gate.  (Thanks Lynn)

As for the PHG values, I tried the Transmit NOW, and there was no change.  So, it might be elsewhere   Not sure.

This little setup seems to be doing okay.  It gated an average of 10,000 packets to the internet each week for each of the last three weeks.

Again my thanks to each of you. I appreciate your help.

Kelly