[Xastir] PHG settings, and filtering excessive Wides

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:25:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Kelly Boswell wrote:

> This regards XASTIR 1.9.4, running on Ubuntu 11.04.

FYI:  1.9.4 is _very_ old, released 2008-08-15.  That shouldn't have much bearing on your questions though.

> 1.)   I recently changed to a sllightly more powerful transmitter and I want to update the PHG accordingly.  I went to file/config/station, and clicked on the approprate diamond-shaped buttons to indicate the new  PHG power level (no change yet on antenna-gain or pattern--that's future).  For some reason, I can't get my change to show up on aprs dot fi.   (For whatever it may be worth, I also clicked on Save Configuration NOW after the new settings).

Try the "Transmit Now!" option.  Xastir doesn't transmit often by default (on purpose).  Something like every 30 minutes?  If you want to see instant changes, hit the "Transmit Now!" option.  I can't give you the label for the menu it's on right now, but it's the next to the last menu.  Mine's labeled "Grapple" 'cuz I still have it in PirateEnglish mode.

The "Save Configs NOW" option is usually a good thing.  Xastir saves its configs on exit, but if you never exit, then have a reboot or power-outage, you'll go back to the last saved settings unless you exercise the option you did after you changed things.  That's what I always do as well.

> 2.)   During a bike race last weekend I saw a mobile station running Wide 1-1, Wide 4-4 get gated through me.    I'm fine with the 1-1part.  But, I'd like to  filter out stations running anything higer than Wide 3-3.  How do I do that in Xastir?
> Again, this  Xastir 1.9.4, on Ubuntu 11.04.

If you want to exercise more control over digipeating, you'll want to run Xastir off an AX.25 kernel networking port, which is a bit more involved.  Then you run "digi_ned" against the same port to do the digipeating.  In that case turn off digipeating in Xastir.  We didn't implement full-blown WIDEn-N digipeating in Xastir because there were better apps out there to do it already.  We only implemented the WIDE1-1 fill-in digipeating.

As far as control over igating, there's no control at the level of detail you're talking about.  You can set the master enables for DIRECTION of igating under File->Configure->Defaults, then you can enable/disable gating and set direction for each RF interface.  The master takes precedence.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html