[Xastir] Xastir Source control

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Aug 7 15:43:29 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:37:39PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <esarfl at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> >> Yech.
> >
> > Git is the future...   At least that's what most postings I'm seeing
> > say.     As Tom says, change only when there's a real need - and then
> > reluctantly.   I just wasn't sure if I missed something and the CVS I
> > was pulling was out of date.
> >
> > 73
> > Bill
>
> Git is a great piece of software. I use it daily for work and personal
> projects. But I've found that Mercurial with the Queues extension does
> a much smoother job handling the standard open source workflow of
> create code, generate patch, email patch, edit code, update patch,
> email patch again. The problem is that git commits are immutable, so
> you can't easily edit a patch. Mercurial's Mq extension solves this by
> providing a mechanism for removing and editing commits.
>
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqExtension/

There is, as far as I know, no plan to change the revision control system
for Xastir any time in the near future, as there is no real reason to do so.
There are hardly any commits going on, we do no branching, and CVS has been
perfectly adequate to the project's needs.  Changing would be more headache
than it's worth, no matter how good other software may be for large projects.

Someday that may change, and if Xastir-NG ever becomes anything but vaporware,
it would probably not be under CVS.