[Xastir] Python

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:53:07 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Chip Griffin <n1mie at mac.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to use Python, or some other development platform, to tap Xastir for information? For example I'd like to be able to write a script/app to keep track of my wife's APRS tracker and take action as appropriate. Perhaps then I'd have it light an LED when she's close to home. I have lots of ideas, but I need to know if I can do it that way or find a way to connect directly to an aprsis server.

You might as well forego Xastir and connect directly to APRS-IS. If
you like Python, this will be simple with the python bindings for
libfap. libfap does the APRS heavy lifting. It decodes packets and
there are functions for distance and direction between two points.

https://github.com/kd7lxl/python-libfap/

Tom KD7LXL