[Xastir] Python

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Thu Aug 16 11:07:56 EDT 2012

Firstly, my wife is also a licensed amateur radio operator. She is aware of the APRS tracking function in her D710 and even on occasion chooses not to turn it on (i.e., Christmas shopping). We have a very high level of trust and have no need of some of the 'game playing' I hear other hams discussing (even before she was licensed).

Some great ideas offered. I will have to play with them and see which seems best. I'd prefer solutions that are locally controlled (vice someone else's mail server). My intent is that some of these will be Raspberry Pi and/or Arduino projects.

One project, as an example. Will have a couple of a couple of multi-color LEDs, a set for me, and a set for her. One may be for activity level (# of packets in the last x minutes), the other would be for proximity. I'd probably use colors (red for closer or more active, blue for farther or less active).

Another project will monitor activity. When she reappears on the grid after being inactive for a long-ish period it will send an alert (SMS?).

Another would provide a means of sending and receiving APRS messages/bulletins from a small LCD screen device with tiny KB.

Some later projects might be in the truck, which does not have Internet access but could connect to the D710.

I have a bunch of ideas gurgling around, I'm just exploring the possibilities. I think ultimately I'd like a way to connect to Xastir for some info it already has. Some disadvantages are that if Xastir goes down (I've had lookups and power outages) then you lose the ability it provided. This seems like it has wide possibilities for everyone, so it might be worth adding to the general build. I've done some C programming, so I'll see what I can do. Won't be quick tho.

--Chip/N1MIE