[Xastir] Hardware

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 07:20:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:35:18 Ray Wells wrote:
> I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi to use as an aprs gateway (30m, 2m and 2m
> satgate).
>
> Does anyone on the list have any thoughts on using a USB to 4 port RS232
> adapter to provide serial ports for TNCs.  The RPi has only USB.
>
> Ray vk2tv

Should be fine, but I would make two recommendations (not that I am in the
same situation, but here's what I would do if I was).

1) Use a powered USB hub
This will reduce the load on the RPi PSU and circuitry.
2) Use FTDI-based USB-to-serial-converters
Each one has (or should have) a unique serial number which can be queried by
udev.  You can use this feature to ensure that you can map the same device to
the same port every time you reboot.

73,

Andrew