[Xastir] Hardware

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 18:52:03 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse at comcast.net> wrote:
> FWIW, I have one of these and I have used it on my WinXP and Win7 machines
> without a hitch. Of course all of my USB<>RS232 adapters (FTDI and Prolific)
> work without a hitch. Having not used Linux, YMMV.

The only problem I've had with Prolific based USB to serial adapters
in Linux is locking up after extended use as the TNC interface in a
7x24 IGate.  In other usage such as mobile with a Linux netbook as
both the tracker and the GPS interface, they have worked fine.  In
Windows I found that that the drivers that came with one of my
Prolifics didn't work with the other, even though they both supposedly
use the same chipset.  In LInux I just plug them in, and they work
without installing anything.  MAC OSX users have also reported
problems with the Prolific based devices.

Lee - K5DAT