[Xastir] Setting an Alias - Best via Minicom or Xastir?

qrv at kd4e.com qrv at kd4e.com
Sun Aug 26 19:48:44 EDT 2012

I have been asking and reading and not yet found a satisfactory
(simple enough for me to understand) answer.

Since Minicom is necessary to set the OT3m THC to "USBKISS on",
before Xastir will work, it then becomes unclear if Minicom should
be used to make any other settings whatsoever to the OT3m.

If I want to set an Alias for a fixed station, that has been set
(in Xastir) to serve as a digipeater, is it recommended to make that
same setting in the OT3m TNC via Minicom (v.2.4) using "MYCALL NEVILS"
as well as in Xastir?

Or, is it best to leave the Minicom setting of the OT3m TNC as
"MYCALL KD4E-1" and only change the setting for Station to the
desired Alias "NEVILS" in Xastir?

Or, do I need to only set the OT3m to "USBKISS on" using Minicom
and somehow make the rest of the settings blank - allowing Xastir
to control everything - or is there some other combination of fixed
settings to the OT3m via Minicom and all of the rest of the dynamic
settings via Xastir?

I get that whatever I do to change the Alias setting I need to
change the Comment text in Xastir to at least include my callsign,
"KD4E-1" ... to keep the FCC happy.

Thanks!

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com