[Xastir] Setting an Alias - Best via Minicom or Xastir?

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Mon Aug 27 13:54:52 EDT 2012

Hi David,

My personal preference is to leave my OT2/3 in KISS mode on Port A and use
the GPS on Port B only. On the OT3, I won't use the USB port once I have it
running since with system is already wired for RS232.

The OT2/3 will stay in KISS indefinitely until you or an application takes
it out. Some TNCs, upon power-up, have to be put in KISS each time so
start-up scripts are necessary. The OT2/3 does not require it. I just know
that if I need to change any parameters in my OT2/3, then I have to take it
out of KISS, make the changes and put it back in. I don't think I have touch
any settings for at least a year, maybe two.

One reason I do it this way is that if an application goes legs-up for some
reason and did not take the TNC out of KISS mode, then the TNC is going to
be in the wrong state when attempting to reconnect. And you will manually
have to reset the TNS anyway. For me, the application crashes, I restart and
forget about it. Of course you will be running Linux so crashes will never
be an issue. Even a dead battery on a netbook won't kill Linux!

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH