[Xastir] which weather station

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:07:58 EDT 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Don Russell wrote:

> What weather station should I consider?
> Money is an object.

     Peet Brothers   http://www.peetbros.com/shop/
     Davis           http://www.davis.com/
     ArgentData      http://www.argentdata.com/

I have enough parts for 2 or 3 Lacrosse stations and a Dallas Semiconductor station.  I played with the Dallas Semi. station early-on to make sure Xastir worked with it, but haven't hooked up either Lacrosse station to it.  My view of the Lacrosse stations so far are that they are on the cheap side.  If you buy a cheap station you'll be buying another one soon.  http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/

Dallas Semi. stations were a promotional deal to get people interested in the one-wire parts, but you can still get similar stations from AAG in Mexico.  Last I recall shipping was ridiculous though.  http://www.aagelectronica.com/

One advantage to the ArgentData stations is that you can buy just what you need, and if any part breaks, you can buy just that part to replace it.  I run ArgentData trackers and love the quality.  Looks like their weather station is $155, which puts it in the same price category as the AAG and Lacrosse units.

I keep hearing over the years of people that put up things other than Peet or Davis and had to buy one of those two later to replace their cheaper stations that failed.  I would hope that the ArgentData would be as reliable, but for less money.  The reason I have my Lacrosse stations is that one Xastir user replaced three or four Lacrosse stations that failed with something better and sent me the pieces which still worked.

Has anyone messed with an ArgentData WX station hooked to Xastir?

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...