[Xastir] Raspberry Pi

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Aug 31 21:14:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:01:55PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <javier at kjsl.org> flavor, containing:
> Ray,
>
> If the goal is to have a remotely located digi/igate, headless, maybe aprx would be a better choice?

Indeed, Xastir is not the ideal choice for an IGate, much less a remotely
located headless one.  Xastir can do some of the IGate heavy lifting, but is
not as complete an IGate implementation as some others.  Xastir's main strength
is its graphical client and mapping capability, and one would be better
using something that is less user-interface heavy.

I personally prefer to use javAPRSSrvr because of its close link to the
APRS-IS backbone.

I run javAPRSSrvr on my SheevaPlug.  I understand that lots of folks dislike
it since it's not open-sourced, but honestly I don't care as long as it's
free and is well-maintained.  Since all the APRS-IS infrastructure uses it,
that's good enough for me.

But that's a matter of taste, so long as one uses a program that is
well-maintained and kept up-to-date with APRS-IS standards.

As for the geotiff/magick conflict, I have not heard of this before --- there
is no such conflict on other Debian-based systems I've used (e.g. Ubuntu and
Debian Squeeze).  Where is this "well documented?"  How widespread is that
conflict across distributions/versions?

One could, of course, always build libgeotiff from sources and install them
in a location that does NOT conflict with Magick at all, if the packaging
is so broken...

But back to Javier's comment -- why bother with any image rendering stuff if
this is a headless machine?