[Xastir] Raspberry Pi

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Aug 31 21:35:55 EDT 2012

Tom

On 01/09/12 11:14, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:01:55PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <javier at kjsl.org> flavor, containing:
>> Ray,
>>
>> If the goal is to have a remotely located digi/igate, headless, maybe aprx would be a better choice?
> Indeed, Xastir is not the ideal choice for an IGate, much less a remotely
> located headless one.  Xastir can do some of the IGate heavy lifting, but is
> not as complete an IGate implementation as some others.  Xastir's main strength
> is its graphical client and mapping capability, and one would be better
> using something that is less user-interface heavy.
I've seen it reported that xastir is not the best choice but it served
me well for a number of years with 2m, 30m and satgate. I'd rather not
change but then again .....

> I personally prefer to use javAPRSSrvr because of its close link to the
> APRS-IS backbone.
>
> I run javAPRSSrvr on my SheevaPlug.  I understand that lots of folks dislike
> it since it's not open-sourced, but honestly I don't care as long as it's
> free and is well-maintained.  Since all the APRS-IS infrastructure uses it,
> that's good enough for me.
>
> But that's a matter of taste, so long as one uses a program that is
> well-maintained and kept up-to-date with APRS-IS standards.

That's another option that I hadn't seriously considered. maybe I should.

> As for the geotiff/magick conflict, I have not heard of this before --- there
> is no such conflict on other Debian-based systems I've used (e.g. Ubuntu and
> Debian Squeeze).  Where is this "well documented?"  How widespread is that
> conflict across distributions/versions?

I can't answer your last question because, like you I've compiled xastir
under other recent Debian variants.

>From http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12261&start=25

by plugwash » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am
The good news is gdal is now built and in the wheezy-staging raspbian
repository (it should move to the wheezy raspbian repository next time I
run a migration)

The bad news is that xastir's build-dependencies are still not satisfiable.

xastir (= 2.0.0-2): FAILED
  xastir (= 2.0.0-2) build-depends on one of:
  - libgeotiff-dev (= 1.3.0+dfsg0-3)
  xastir (= 2.0.0-2) build-depends on one of:
  - libgraphicsmagick1-dev (= 1.3.16-1)
  libgeotiff-dev (= 1.3.0+dfsg0-3) depends on one of:
  - libtiff5-dev (= 4.0.2-2)
  libgraphicsmagick1-dev (= 1.3.16-1) depends on one of:
  - libtiff4-dev (= 3.9.6-7)
  libtiff5-dev (= 4.0.2-2) and libtiff4-dev (= 3.9.6-7) conflict

Not sure what if anything I can do about this, let me have a think about it.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-hams/2012/07/msg00036.html

> One could, of course, always build libgeotiff from sources and install them
> in a location that does NOT conflict with Magick at all, if the packaging
> is so broken...
I had already considered that option. Is that what n1mjf did??

> But back to Javier's comment -- why bother with any image rendering stuff if
> this is a headless machine?

This is probably more about being _able_ to compile xastir than it is
about what I may eventually use for the igate. It's a hurdle I'd like to
conquer before I move on. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ray vk2tv