[Xastir] Raspberry Pi

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:56:47 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Tom

> On 01/09/12 11:14, Tom Russo wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 09:01:55PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron
>> collision of the <javier at kjsl.org> flavor, containing:
>>>
>>> Ray,
>>>
>>> If the goal is to have a remotely located digi/igate, headless, maybe
>>> aprx would be a better choice?
>>
>> Indeed, Xastir is not the ideal choice for an IGate, much less a remotely
>> located headless one.  Xastir can do some of the IGate heavy lifting, but
>> is
>> not as complete an IGate implementation as some others.  Xastir's main
>> strength
>> is its graphical client and mapping capability, and one would be better
>> using something that is less user-interface heavy.
>
> I've seen it reported that xastir is not the best choice but it served me
> well for a number of years with 2m, 30m and satgate. I'd rather not change
> but then again .....

https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/home

After continuing to keep an eye out for a small app that runs in Linux
that supports IGating and includes support for things like courtesy
posits and properly differentiating between stations nearby that are
on RF only and therefore are valid recipients of gated messages vs.
stations that are on both RF and internet and should not receive gated
messages, I landed on DIXPRS.  Like APRX, it also supports
digipeating.  Below is a station running it on a Raspberry Pi.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=W6CAI-1

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT