[Xastir] Opinions sought on new maps

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:18:52 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse at comcast.net>wrote:

> There are other "slippy tile" maps available. I use a series from ArcGIS
> that is basically the same as the USGS topographic maps. CalTopo also has a
> few useful tiles as well.
>
> To get an idea of options, you might look at this link:
> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets
>
> I know it is not directly related but since some OSM code has been added in
> Xastir, maybe someone could add an interface to other tiles sets with
> little
> trouble.

I have created .geo files for using CalTopo tiles in Xastir. They work
fine, but the OSM license is still in the corner (I think Xastir's code
puts this over all tiles).

Speaking of licenses, please make sure you are using the CalTopo tiles
appropriately. Matt puts a lot of time and money into creating and serving
those. He charges a license fee for use outside of caltopo.com.

Tom KD7LXL