[Xastir] problems with xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:14:00 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 08:31:27PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Denton Larson <wb0zur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Try this line instead:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp libpcre3-dev libproj0
>> libproj-dev libdb5.1-dev python-dev libax25-dev shapelib libshp-dev
>> festival festival-dev libmagickcore-dev libgeotiff-dev
>
> AFAIK, Xastir doesn't use versions of Berkeley DB newer than 4.9.  That's
> because its configure only probes up to that level --- if you look in
> acinclude.m4, you'll find a loop over versions that starts at 4.9 and works
> backward.
>
> I believe if you only have bdb 5.1 on your system, configure will report that
> it can't do map caching.
>
> It *may* be possible to use these newer versions of BDB with Xastir --- if
> so, then all it will take is changing that loop, rebootstrapping, reconfiguring,
> and rebuilding.  But AFAIK nobody has tested it with such a new version.
>
> If you test Xastir and find that map caching works just fine with BDB 5.1,
> then I'll happily modify the acinclude.m4 file in CVS.

I did get a 'yes' to everything except GDAL at the end of the
configure script (left GDAL out on purpose).  Help about shows
'map_caching' as one of the libraries used.

Just noticed that the latest version of Berkeley DB available for
Ubuntu 12.10 is actually 5.3 - including a dev package, so I probably
should have tried that.  Version 5.1 seems to be working - is there a
way to verify for certain that map caching is functioning in Xastir?

Lee - K5DAT