[Xastir] problems with xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 19 21:29:18 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 08:31:27PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Denton Larson <wb0zur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Try this line instead:
>
> sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp libpcre3-dev libproj0
> libproj-dev libdb5.1-dev python-dev libax25-dev shapelib libshp-dev
> festival festival-dev libmagickcore-dev libgeotiff-dev

AFAIK, Xastir doesn't use versions of Berkeley DB newer than 4.9.  That's
because its configure only probes up to that level --- if you look in
acinclude.m4, you'll find a loop over versions that starts at 4.9 and works
backward.

I believe if you only have bdb 5.1 on your system, configure will report that
it can't do map caching.

It *may* be possible to use these newer versions of BDB with Xastir --- if
so, then all it will take is changing that loop, rebootstrapping, reconfiguring,
and rebuilding.  But AFAIK nobody has tested it with such a new version.

If you test Xastir and find that map caching works just fine with BDB 5.1,
then I'll happily modify the acinclude.m4 file in CVS.