[Xastir] problems with xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:31:27 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Denton Larson <wb0zur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I did a “re-set” of my Dell Inspiron mini and have Lubuntu 12.10 it
> works well. I tried to install xastir and ran into a problem. Below is
> what I get,
>
> dlarson at lubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp libpcre3-dev
> proj libproj-dev libdb4.8-dev python-dev libax25-dev shapelib
> libshp-dev festival festival-dev libmagickcore-dev libgeotiff-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libdb4.8-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> Package proj is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'proj' has no installation candidate
> E: Package 'libdb4.8-dev' has no installation candidate
>
> Any ideas to see what I can do? I am sort of green with Linux programming.

Try this line instead:

sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp libpcre3-dev libproj0
libproj-dev libdb5.1-dev python-dev libax25-dev shapelib libshp-dev
festival festival-dev libmagickcore-dev libgeotiff-dev

There is no proj package, but it doesn't seem to be needed.  I think
libproj0 will automatically be picked up by libproj-dev, but I
included it above just in case.  The above worked for me, but I used
graphicsmagick instead of imagemagick, so my "magick" development
package was different.

Lee - K5DAT