[Xastir] Configure Xastir for use with Kenwood TH-D72A and Garmin Rino 530HCx, Windows XP , Oracle Virtual Box / Debian Squeeze?

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 3 11:19:11 EST 2012

That is true. There is command file that will allow a D7 to pass an attached GPS's packets to Xastir in Beacon mode but Xastir looks at that data as an external station and assigns a random icon to it.  That really
didn't have any use whatsoever as Xastir wouldn't look at that data as a datum to make base station measurements from. Again, it considered that information as "just another outlying station" even though it was the base station position.  One is better off with a cheap external GPS attached directly to a USB port of the laptop where it is recognized as the "base" position.  The D7A(g) was the only unit that had this quirk if the particular initialization file was use.  Using the D7 in TNC mode Xastir
works just fine.  Just attach a USB GPS to the laptop if the base station is going to be mobile or just input a fixed position manually if not.

                              Kurt KC9LDH