[Xastir] Addresses

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Feb 12 17:54:00 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 03:32:18PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mrfixit2003_975 at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Is there a way to look up addresses in xastir or is it now possible? I see there is place to type in address but says it can not find it. Didn't know if there something I have to do to get my xastir to locate address or maybe download a library for it any suggestions or help will be liked

There is a very outdated capability that allows one to use some geocoding
files derived from TIGER/Line data.  The programs that can generate the
needed files crunch raw TIGER/Line files into an index, and then Xastir uses
those to compute addresses.

Unfortunately, the programs were created in 2003 to work with then-current
TIGER/Line data, and only a few years later stopped working as the TIGER/Line
format changed.  One had to hack on the geocoder to get them to work after
that.  And now, the US Census no longer distributes TIGER/Line data
in any format that even comes close to one that the geocoder can use.

Geocoding files from a relatively recent TIGER/Line data set were once
uploaded to aprs.tamu.edu, but that FTP site has been down for ages.

So the short answer to your question is "no."  A longer answer is "yes, but
only if you dig up an old program and some old data, and crunch it, and even
then it might not be accurate."

There are some pointers in README.MAPS (look for '"Find Address" feature').