[Xastir] Addresses

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Feb 12 18:19:33 EST 2012

On Mon, February 13, 2012 07:54, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 03:32:18PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <mrfixit2003_975 at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> Is there a way to look up addresses in xastir or is it now possible? I
>> see there is place to type in address but says it can not find it.
>> Didn't know if there something I have to do to get my xastir to locate
>> address or maybe download a library for it any suggestions or help will
>> be liked
<snip>
> So the short answer to your question is "no."  A longer answer is "yes,
> but only if you dig up an old program and some old data, and crunch it,
> and even then it might not be accurate."

The OpenStreetMap project includes geocoding support.  If someone has
recorded an address on the map then an engine called 'Nominatim' will
extract and encode it (naturally it already extracts country, region and
road names).

It may be possible to provide an on-line service where the user is
prompted for an address in an Xastir dialog, and then behind the scenes a
call is made to Nominatim to fetch the lat/lon of the address.  An
off-line service would require downloading the geocoding database and
writing a local parser, which might not be a horrible task...

73,

Andrew
ZL3AME