[Xastir] OSM Cycle Maps are working again

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 20:24:06 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM, David A Aitcheson
<david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> Well at least a 32 bit is available for 12.04 now.  I tried your file
> Lee.  Software Center complained and then some about the file being a 32
> bit file.

Yeah, I should mention in the Wiki that it's a 32 bit version.  I have
a mix of 64 and 32 bit machines at home, and I tend to use 32 bit
versions of Linux on all of them just to keep everything the same.
Therefore I don't currently have a means to build and test deb files
in 64 bit environments.

> I'll grind out the upgrade to 12.04(amd64) and work on the learning
> curve to build a deb file.  With only a 1Mb/s connection an upgrade
> should take about 3 days.  Even a i7 processor and can not make a
> connection go any faster than the ISP says you can go.  Then there is
> the 4 Gb ram limitation as well.

Given one has to compile Xastir anyway in order to create a deb file,
you might as well just compile Xastir from source after you upgrade to
12.04 and not worry about using a deb package.  The wiki has been
updated now on installing Xastir from source via CVS.

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.04

The build script, which is referenced in the HowTo above, automates
the whole process - makes it almost as easy as installing a deb
package.  The slow internet speed will make it take a while, though.
I just remembered that you were the one that had the negative
experience with an early version of the build script a few years back
- that's because the original script was written to use aptitude
instead of apt.  I would not expect there to be an issue now but with
the caveat that there are no guarantees.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT