[Xastir] Help needed--installing xastir 2.0

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jul 21 17:51:49 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 03:49:30PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 02:18:40PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kellyboswell at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> > Hi gang;
> > ?
> > I was upgrading to Xastir 2.0. following the instructions at the wiki (xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.04) .? But, I did something wrong.?
> > ?
> > When type XASTIR in the terminal, I get the following:
> > XReadBitmapFile( ) failed: Bitmap not found?? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2xbm
> > ?
> > What did I do?
> > ?
> > Can someone guide me?through correcting my problem?? Offline will be fine.
> > ?
>
> We prefer to do on-line answers here, so that everyone benefits from the
> answers.
>
> Are you upgrading from a prior binary install?
>
> Here's why I ask:  Linux package managers like to put all installed stuff into
> /usr (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/share, etc.).  But when you build from source,
> the default behavior is to put things in /usr/local (/usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/share).
>
> When you first install Xastir from a binary package and run it, all of your
> config files (in ~/.xastir/config) get set up to look for support files in
> /usr/share/xastir.  If you then do an upgrade to a later version from source,
> the files that the old package had in /usr/share are now in /usr/local/share.
>
> The best way to fix this issue is to edit your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf
> file in your normal text editor of choice and change all references to
> "/usr/share" to "/usr/local/share".  The error message you are getting will
> go away.

This is, by the way, right at the top of the wiki page you referenced, under
"If you alread installed the binary version", where it says:

   Then you need to edit your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to change all
   occurances of "/usr/share" to "/usr/local/share"

It may be easy to miss, though, as it's not highlighted the way all of the
cut-and-paste-able commands are.