[Xastir] Help needed--installing xastir 2.0

Kelly Boswell kellyboswell at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 22:10:54 EDT 2012

Hi Tom,

Thank you for responding.  Thanks also for your explanation regarding the different placement of files depending on the origin of the sources; i.e.,  /usr/  versus  /usr/local/.  Also, thanks to whoever for the detailed info in the wiki, and keeping it current. It was truly a big help for this newbie.  Somewhere I went astray; but, I doubt that is the fault of the wiki.  Since the preference is for online answers, I'll thank everyone in advance for your patience.

For several months, I had been using Xastir 1.94 on Ubuntu 10.10.  This was obtained from the sourceforge website by clicking the big green button.  I later learned it was quite "vintage".  But, it functioned for my need as an Igate, so lived with it.

On Saturday July 21st, I decided take a quantum leap forward into the current decade.  I upgraded both my operating system and Xastir.  I began by upgrading the OS from Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit) to 11.10, then to 12.04 LTS (64-bit).  The only hiccup was having to tell 12.04 to use the 2D video for my display.  Otherwise, all went smoothly.  I then used a different computer for reading the Wiki while upgrading  Xastir  to version 2.0 and  going for the CVS so it would keep abreast with the latest version.

I thought I had followed the directions in the Wiki, line by line.  But, I realized in-process that I had made a mistake in entering the lines regarding  graphicsmagick and gpsman; the text had extended beyond the edge of my screen and I had failed to realize it.  Therefore, those lines had been incomplete.  I went back and re-entered those lines in their entirety.  I continued onward through the wiki instructions.  When I got to the part about entering "xastir &" to start the program I received an error message about a socket for Festival, plus the text which I mentioned in my original message; (XReadBitmapFile( ) failed: Bitmap not found??  /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2xbm).

You are correct about me missing the portion that was not in a highlight box. But, after your message I found it.  I have not, however, found the file it referred to " ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf"  in any folder or subfolder.  Ubuntu's file search doesn't find it either.

I find in my "Home" folder (or directory, whichever it is called) there is a file called ubuntu-xastir-cvsbuild.sh    .  In Home/src/ there is one folder called "xastir".  It has several subordinate folders and files, none of which end in "cnf".

Wait a minute.....I also see a folder "usr" with subordinate folders including "local".  In fact, I can follow a pathway of /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols and see a file called 2x2.xbm   So, I think what I'm needing is here.. I just need to find a way to steer things to it.

Using gedit, I have opened ~/src/xastir/configure  . On line 533 (I counted my way down), under the category Initializations. there is a line that says  "ac_default_prefix=/usr/local"    . For additional reference, on line 540 it begins the "Identify of this package." followed by PACKAGE_NAME='xastir', PACKAGE_TARNAME= 'xastir',PACKAGE_VERSION='2.0.1', and so forth.  Line 548, ac_unique_file="src/xastir.h"    Is there where I need to be looking?

I'm trying to persist through this. Thank you again for your patience, as I slog along.
Kelly, KA5MGL