[Xastir] Help needed--installing xastir 2.0

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 01:30:36 EDT 2012

Hey Xastir-ites!

KB3EFS has v2.0.1 compiled locally and running all options on Ubuntu
12.04-LTS on a AMD64 i7 with 4 GB RAM.

While I do NOT have a rf presence on APRS I am intermittently on the
Internet APRS system.  The next move is to get some copper wire and
aluminum stick up in the air between supports or on top of pipes.

Even GraphicMagic and ImageMagic are playing nice as both are loaded for
supporting other programs already.

I use "gvim" (load "vim" from your favorite flavor of package
management) instead of "nano"; but that is what I learned to edit with
on a AIX system over 20 years ago.

Kelly, I had 7 (seven) lines to change. so you may want to go have
another look in the morning when your eyes are fresh.

Now to figure out the message handling roadblocks upstream.  Me things
someone that is a UI-View "gestapo" is blocking my messaging.

73
Dave
KB3EFS

On 07/23/2012 11:33 PM, Kelly Boswell wrote:
> Tom, Lee, David, et al;
>
> (I was composing this response on my laptop, when it burped,and I had to log-in again.  If this message is a duplicate, I apologize.)

No dupe here!

> IT WORKED!    I opened the terminal, changed directories, guessed at using the nano xastir.cnf command to open the file--got it right on first attempt.  Changed six lines to include /local/, and scrolled the remaining lines to make sure I didn't miss any.
>
> I was a bit puzzled when I wanted to save & exit. But, I seemed to remember using ^ to represent Cntl.  So, I did a Cntrl-X, typed Y to confirm the changes, and it looked like it worked.
>
> Going for broke, and I typed xastir & in that same terminal, and voila, the program started!  Yippeee.
>
> thanks guys,

You're Welcome!