[Xastir] KAM not transmitting and solution

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 26 09:43:24 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:33:55AM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <sinageruk at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hi,
> just leaving a quick note on using the Kantronics KAM as a "serial tnc", in
> case anyone else bumps in the same problem.
>
> Xastir 2.0 as provided by the Ubuntu 11.10 won't work properly, at least
> with my 6.1 firmware.
>
> My tnc refused to go on tx and a couple of minor fixes in the
> tnc-startup.kam script made no difference (comment "txu on" and change
> "HEADERLN OFF" into "HEADERL OFF", as both commands are wrong).
>
> At transmission attempts the tnc would reply:
>      $
> EH?
>
> This post explained the mechanism and pointed me to the right source file:
> http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2009-October/016611.html
>
> Have a look at line 8667 in interface.c ...and simply do as the source
> says, commenting the line output_net...
>
>                /* clear this for a TNC */
>                 //output_net[0] = '\0';
>
> Possibly the Kenwood D700 fix messed up for the KAM.

That comment is not suggesting that the output_net line be commented out,
merely saying that "output_net" should be a null string for a TNC.

The D700 fix didn't impact this line --- it merely added an extra carriage
return to clear the junk out of buffers.

As it turns out, the D700 "EH?" issue is almost certainly due to the "Control-E"
that "Serial TNC with GPS on AUX port" interfaces are sending on the assumption
that all TNCs with attached GPS units require it.  As far as I know, only a
handful actually do, and most these days just pass a mixed feed of NMEA and
AX.25 data automatically.  The EH? on the D700 is almost certainly complaints
about Control-Es left in the buffer.  But anyway, the line you've commented out
has nothing to do with that fix.

Oddly, output_net is not even used in the block of code where it's cleared
out, so it must be getting used elsewhere, and have other stuff stored in it.
I don't know why your commenting this out helped your KAM, but it is NOT
what the comment is telling you to do (it's explaining that it's "clearing this"
variable because we're a TNC not a network interface).