[Xastir] Xastir with offline maps

Mathew F n1mjf at n1mjf.com
Sun Jun 10 09:32:59 EDT 2012

Hello Xastir crew,

I've been trying to work with Xastir on my shiny new Raspberry Pi. I've got
it setup and running great in an online bench-test but I'm having issues
figuring out what maps to use for offline use. I attempted the 'planet'
file from openstreetmaps but that was WAY too big. Next I selected most of
New England on bbbike.org to be extracted as a shapefile, that seems like
it would work but was again too big for the memory in the Pi.

I don't want to just select RI (The state I'm in) because I frequently find
myself in MA, CT and NY. At this point I'm unsure what maps to use and
wanted to see what maps others are using for offline operations. I will say
I really like the online MAPNIK map the best but cannot figure how I would
export it to be local.

I would like to cram whatever map I get into 10Gb (free space on the SD
card) but if whatever map is larger than that I have no big issue including
a laptop HDD for the maps.

My plan is to install the Raspberry Pi in my SUV with GPS and Xastir
controlling my 2m rig. As stated I have Xastir and all dependencies all
compiled on the Raspberry Pi.

For anyone interested in setting up a Raspberry Pi for Xastir, feel free to
message me via this list or directly. If you don't know what a Raspberry Pi
is. It's a 700MHz ARM embedded computer that can run a few different Linux
distros. In my case I'm running ArchLinux.

Video of my Pi booting up to Xastir is here:  http://youtu.be/PdZ_vywomZk

Thank you Xastir crew!
--
      Mathew F.