[Xastir] Xastir with offline maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:56:52 EDT 2012

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Mathew F wrote:

> I don't want to just select RI (The state I'm in) because I frequently find
> myself in MA, CT and NY. At this point I'm unsure what maps to use and
> wanted to see what maps others are using for offline operations. I will say
> I really like the online MAPNIK map the best but cannot figure how I would
> export it to be local.

Do a Google search for "cloudmade shapefile extracts":  Shapefile extracts of the OSM maps that Xastir can use nicely, by state.  Just download the one files for the states you're interested in, and only the ones with "shp" or "shape" in the title.  The rest of the files are other types of maps.

> For anyone interested in setting up a Raspberry Pi for Xastir, feel free to
> message me via this list or directly. If you don't know what a Raspberry Pi
> is. It's a 700MHz ARM embedded computer that can run a few different Linux
> distros. In my case I'm running ArchLinux.

It would be nice to have a page for that on our Wiki.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Device Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_device_capabilities.html