[Xastir] Xastir with offline maps

Mathew F n1mjf at n1mjf.com
Mon Jun 11 21:58:48 EDT 2012

I downloaded all 50 states and set them up. Once again it's not the same
performance as the OSM-Mapnik map. The Mapnik takes about 20 seconds to
load, the RI shapefiles take about 15 minutes to load on the Pi. The end
result is gross. Black background with roads, ponds and red "X"s all over.
I'm sure there is some conversion I have to do with the .dbf files. I tried
renaming them to .dbfawk, I did get some result from that but it made it
way worse and complained about too many rows or something. I will keep
digging.

I also need to find out how to get the GPS to update the clock. The
Raspberry Pi has no clock so every reboot the clock is Jan 1 1970 00:00.. I
could get a realtime clock module for $3 but I'm using that serial port for
the GPS. I also feel the GPS has more accurate time.

Still work in progress..

I will even buy a map if I need to. I just need it to look something like
the online Mapnik map and load correctly.

I was also wondering.. Will xastir keep the map focus on me? I noticed the
TrackMe button. Is that what that does?