[Xastir] {Disarmed} Xastir Freezes

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:56:30 EST 2012

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI wrote:

> Well, I managed to get the interface 0 hard fail to go away but I cannot prevent Xastir from freezing every time I open up the serial port with the Peet Ultimeter 2100 weather station on it.  I tried USB to serial interfaces and PCI to serial interfaces and I get the same result.  The Debian 6 box is fully talking to the TNC but why not the WX station serial port?  Why would it freeze Xastir?
>
> Then I went as far as blowing away the entire OS, reinstalling, adding my user to the dialout and sudo groups and reinstalling Xastir.  I did the chmod 4755 to /usr/local/bin/xastir
>
> Again, the program freezes as soon as I open the serial port.  I can only get Xastir to relaunch once I clear out the xastir.cnf file.  As soon as I try an open the port with the weather station on it, Xastir freezes.  Again, I can see the data from the serial port easily with minicom.  Xastir is just choking on it.
>
> any ideas?  Day 7 without APRS now.

It sounds to me like permission issues.  On my OpenSuSE boxes I don't have that kind of a problem once I do the chmod 4755 bit or add the Xastir user to the proper groups and log out and back in to get those added permissions.

Maybe someone more versed in Debian has the answer.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/