[Xastir] TH-D72A with Internal GPS working with Xastir

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 14 21:41:18 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I've lately been trying to get Xastir working with my TH-D72 and its
internal GPS.  Googling showed me a lot of discussions on the topic, and
in particular, this one:

http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2011-July/020149.html

in which it was thought that the "D72 cannot stream NMEA sentences from
the internal GPS in any mode tha talso allows Xastir to use the TNC."

I appear to have taken that as a challenge and figured out how to do it ;-)

I am not at all surprised at the above conclusion; Kenwood's
documentation, though perhaps far more complete than their competitors,
is still terribly sparse when it comes to the TNC functions of the D72A.

I have documented how I managed to get this working over here:

http://wiki.complete.org/THD72PCAPRS

It also explains what a lot of trial and error has shown to be the
difference between the D72's APRS mode and its PACKET mode with respect
to hooking up Xastir.

Hope it is helpful to someone.

I thank everyone that has contributed on this list for the background
info, and in particular Kai Günter Brandt's D710 setup scripts which I
was able to lightly modify for the D72A.  His info was at
http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir/2011-July/020111.html in case
anyone needs to find it.

-- John Goerzen
KR0L