[Xastir] Davis weather not posting rain totals properly

Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI aa9vi at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 22:59:42 EDT 2012

There is a bug in the APRS string data for the rain totals from the Davis Vantage Pro station.  I can clearly see the day rain, hourly rain, and rain since midnight not being ported to RF or the APRS-IS servers correctly when displayed properly on Own Weather Data..  For some reason when I bring up Own Weather Data all 3 fields are 0 (not the case for all other WX readings).  If I wait a minute they update to the proper number after the new set of data is sent to Xastir every minute.  It seems to me that the data from the 6540 Weather console to serial port interface is reaching the computer but the output string is not being processed correctly in Xastir. The only time I get correct hourly data from Xastir to APRS-IS is if the Own Weather Data box is opened.  The rain since midnight and over the last 24 hrs gets reset to zero multiple times per day.

So, here's how I am sure it is Xastir.  Note the data 000 following p and P. I also see the p and P fields transposed in the string from Xastir as well.  The APRS spec shows p should proceed P not follow it.

string sent to Xastir from Davis 6540 APRS console to serial interface:
@050240z4207.44N/08747.20W_021/001g001t054r000p035P035h85b10157.DsVP

string sent from Xastir to APRS-IS:
@050241z4207.44N/08747.20W_360/001g001t054r000P000p000h85b10157

I am using Debian 6 and the latest CVS Xastir 2.0.1.

I'll try and dig into the source code but being a novice, I'd appreciate it if someone can help me find what's wrong.  All other weather data including temp, humidity, wind speed/direction are all working correctly.

Thank you.
Mike, AA9VI