[Xastir] Quirks compiling Xastir on Centos6

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat May 12 23:35:46 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:27:06PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I just updated my docs on getting Xastir compiled on Centos to support
> v6 in full RPMs but I had two questions:
>
> 1. Two items are missing what I run Xastir's configure but I was curious
> if I would be really missing anything from these two options?  I'm not
> really looking to do anything fancy with Xastir though I'd like to be
> able to support offline cached map tiles:
> --
>
>                GeoTiff (USGS Topos&  Aerial Photos) ... : no<------------------

Without this you can't use GeoTIFF format maps.  The USGS used to distribute
lots of topo maps in this format, and it is still popular around the world
for other types of maps.

>                GDAL/OGR (Obtuse map formats) .......... : no<------------------

You lose essentially nothing by not having this.  GDAL support in Xastir
doesn't actually exist, and only a small number of obsolete map formats
(notably raw TIGER/Line files) were every really implemented in OGR support.

> --
>
> 2.  When I load different maps with the compiled code working with a Kenwood D710 in KISS mode, I'm always getting
> a few of these errors from the 2.0.1CVS code (downloaded 2 days ago).  Any ideas?
> --
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD
> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD

One or more of your selected maps has an image colorspace that Xastir doesn't
like.  Unfortunately, the error message doesn't say which one, but grepping
through the source code shows a similar error message in the handlers for
OSM, WMS, geo and tiger map formats.

See if OSM_tiled_mapnik works for you.  If so, then it is likely there is
something up with the OSM server you've selected.  Lots of the other errors
you're posting below imply that is the source of some of these issues.

> When I try to load the OSM_tiled_osmarender map
>
> Download error for tile: http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/8/39/98.png
> curl told us 6

Look suspiciously like there's a problem with the osmarender server.

> When I try to load the OSM_tiled_skiiing map
> xastir: improper image header `/root/.xastir/OSMtiles/skiing/8/39/98.png' @ error/png.c/ReadPNGImage/3651.
> Removing /root/.xastir/OSMtiles/skiing/8/39/98.png

I'm guessing the server is returning an HTML error page instead of a PNG
file, and Xastir is objecting.