[Xastir] Quirks compiling Xastir on Centos6

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Wed May 16 13:07:18 EDT 2012

Howdy Everyone,

Success!  See below..

>> There are a lot of other options available in the help for configure
>> but I don't know if those options are being enabled by default or not
>>
>>  - Is GraphicsMagick recommended over ImageMagick?
>
> Generally yes, unless IM works better on your system.  Usually GM
> works better and is more stable long-term.

As a test, I uninstalled the 64bit ImageMagick v6.7.6 RPM I downloaded
directly from the ImageMagick website  and went for the older Centos
provided ImageMagick-6.5.4.  Once I installed that, the
Oosm_tiled_mapnik map came right up!  Woohoo!  I'll troubleshoot this
tonight to see if it's something specific to that one ImageMagick RPM or
see if it's something directly in the newer ImageMagick code but since
there weren't any errors showing up, I don't know where I should even
start..   If this is an issue in the new ImageMagick code, seems like
this needs to be investigated and fixed.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to troubleshoot this silent issue?

>>   --with-postgis            Enable Postgresql with PostGIS
>> <------------------- Is it a good idea to enable the database
>> functionality (postgres or MySQL)?
>>  --with-mysql              Enable MySQL, with spatial support if
>> available.
>>  --with-bdb-libdir=DIR     Berkeley DB lib files are in DIR
>>  --with-bdb-incdir=DIR     Berkeley DB include files are in DIR
>
> I'd leave the postgres/mysql options alone.  As I recall that was some
> experimental code that hasn't been fully fleshed out yet.  I may be
> wrong though.  I think it was intended to flush the current station
> info out to the database so that when you restarted it pulled the old
> data back in to the map.

Reloading previous data (maybe with a faster decay algorithm) is
something I was looking for.  Does anyone else on the list know if this
code (say with the MySQL backend) is working?  Is there documentation on
how to configure Xastir to use the proper DB, credentials, etc?

> I also noticed that "Davis WX" is not enabled by default (it's also
> not in the same section with all the other features)
>
> I would only enable that in the case where someone was actually using
> a Davis WX station.  Same for LaCrosse.  Most people don't have such
> equipment and/or don't set up all the other stuff needed to use them
> with Xastir.

Fair enough though I'd argue that it's placement in the ./configure
--help section should be lower to be put with the other options.  Very
minor complaint for sure.

>   *** Done with WX Alert log files
>> TBD: I don't think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't
>> think we can deal with colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't think we can
>> deal with colorspace != RGBTBD: I don't think we can deal with
>> colorspace != RGB
>
> I'm not seeing that TBD message here.  Perhaps you're running your
> screen in 8-bit or 24-bit mode?  Try 16 or 32-bit mode instead.  There
> aren't enough bits in 8-bit to make nice maps, although I used to run
> it this way on Solaris years ago.  I seem to remember there may be
> some issues with 24-bit screens as well.

Lovely KDE4 doesn't say anything about bitdepth but X.org.0.log shows:
--
[450476.461] (**) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
<-----------------------------

Since the problem seems to have been ImageMagick, it seems Xastir works
fine with this color depth.

> You can try removing the imagemagick-devel package and installing
> graphicsmagick and graphicsmagick-devel, then configure;make;make
> install to see if it works better for you.  If both are installed,
> Xastir will choose GM over IM.
>

>> The only other things I can think of is that I'm running a very new
>> version of ImageMagick-6.7.6.  Maybe something there?

As a test, I did installed GraphicsMagick and recompile Xastir but the
./configure script wasn't selecting GraphicsMagick as it's default.
Even when I used --without-ImageMagick, Xastir's configure set the
system to "No ImageMagick / GraphicsMagick".  Maybe I need another
CPPFLAGS section to find it.  I'll try that out tonight.

> Could be that, could be a non-functional version of libcurl.  You can
> remove the libcurl-devel package and install wget, then
> configure;make;make install again to see if that fixes it.
There are still several OSM maps that aren't working either due to
errors from libcurl or invalid headers.  I'll start a new thread on that
topic in a bit just so this can be tracked and either fixed on the
Xastir side or bubbled up to the OSM folk.

>>   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM
>
> Try creating a .geo file for it and test.

Ok, I'll have to look through the email archives, etc. to see if this is
documented.  I have no clue how to do it.  Any pointers?

Anyway.. thank you so much Curt for your help and patience to get me
running!  Very much appreciated!

PS.  I updated my huge Centos / Hamshack documentation set to reflect
this new Xastir setup with Centos6 which might help other Linux users
compile up their own version of Xastir.  It's fairly complicated but
it's all done properly via RPMs.   I also made the xastir.spec file
available (would be nice if it could be put into the official Xastir
sources) for other RPM users.  I'd be more than happy to upload the
Centos6 binaries if anyone would find them useful as well.

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#21.xastir-compile

--David