[Xastir] Remote headless server options for use with Xastir?

Mike Loebl mloebl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 20:53:02 EST 2012

We moved from our condo to a bigger house a few months ago, and finally
starting to catch up with projects.  I have a dedicated box I use for
Xastir/ham related stuff in the server rack in the basement, with a D700
using the built-in TNC for 144.39 (wx and igate) and TNC-X for 145.825
igating.  At the condo, I had a pretty straight shot from the basement to
the attic where I had the antenna set up.  Not quite the same options at
the house, so was looking at other options...

What I want to do is keep my Xastir server in the basement in the server
rack, however in the attic have a Beaglebone (similar to Rasp Pi) running
Ubuntu 12.10 connecting to the TNC.  Ideally I'd use it to gate traffic as
I had before, with the D700 connected locally to it, then have Xastir (or
other network boxes in the house) connect thru that to gate to RF(or
vice-versa).  In the next couple weeks I'll be running network cable up to
the attic and already have plenty of power jacks in there (it's partially
finished.)

I know Xastir could do this to a certain extent (i.e. I used to have
other Linux boxes in the house with Xastir connect and gate thru the Xastir
server.)  But I would think it's a bit of overhead and space to install
Xwindows etc on the embedded device just for Xastir to be headless.  Are
there any APRS server apps out there that fit with this?  I loaded up
Dixprs on a Beaglebone connect to the TNC-X/D700 to play with, but not sure
it has this ability from what I can tell.

I'd appreciate ideas.. thank you!

-Mike
KB1MTS