[Xastir] Moving weatherstation

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Oct 16 17:38:33 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 03:11:18PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 05:11:10PM +1100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> > My WX reports independently through CWOP. On aprs.fi it is stationery,
> > on my xastir (compiled from CVS 30th September, it is moving, and it
> > moves at the same speed as the wind, and in the same direction.
> >
> > Is this a feature or a bug?
>
> Bug, obviously, but we'll have to figure out which code it's in.  One of the
> APRS formats for weather does put the wind course/speed in exactly the same
> place that the station course/speed would be, and others put that data
> in a more distinct place.  So figuring out why your station is appearing
> this way will require a lot more information than just your callsign and
> your symbol type (as Lynn asked for).
>
> What weather station are you using?
>
> How are you getting your data into Xastir?
>
> When you view "Own Weather Data" under the View menu, what station type
> is displayed at the top?

Another question:  you say you're reporting "independently through CWOP" --
is your data going into APRS via that independent means using the same
callsign/ssid as your Xastir station, and are you receiving these reports
into Xastir through an APRS-IS connection?  Do any other WX stations in your
APRS-IS feed show the same behavior?

I'm looking through the source code, and Xastir *is* trying to do the right
thing with "complete weather reports" (the ones where course/speed looks
exactly like a station's course and speed, but with additional data being
present to make it clear that this is a wx report, not a moving station).
But I'm wondering if Xastir sees the data as being its own (because of matching
callsign/SSID), and adding the course/speed to its internal record of its
own course/speed before it goes on to parse the weather parts of the record.

Does the behavior change if you change the callsign/ssid of Xastir to something
different than your external program that's feeding CWOP?