[Xastir] Moving weatherstation

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Oct 17 05:31:45 EDT 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:38:33 -0600
Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 03:11:18PM -0600, we recorded a
> bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor,
> containing:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 05:11:10PM +1100, we recorded a
> > bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
> > containing:
> > > My WX reports independently through CWOP. On aprs.fi it is
> > > stationery, on my xastir (compiled from CVS 30th September, it is
> > > moving, and it moves at the same speed as the wind, and in the
> > > same direction.
> > >
> > > Is this a feature or a bug?
> >
> > Bug, obviously, but we'll have to figure out which code it's in.
> > One of the APRS formats for weather does put the wind course/speed
> > in exactly the same place that the station course/speed would be,
> > and others put that data in a more distinct place.  So figuring out
> > why your station is appearing this way will require a lot more
> > information than just your callsign and your symbol type (as Lynn
> > asked for).
> >
> > What weather station are you using?
La Crosse 23xx
Open2300 software 1.11

> > How are you getting your data into Xastir?
internet feed

> > When you view "Own Weather Data" under the View menu, what station
> > type is displayed at the top?
blank

> Another question:  you say you're reporting "independently through
> CWOP" -- is your data going into APRS via that independent means
through cwop servers, and a separate machine here

> using the same callsign/ssid as your Xastir station,
no, VK2XSE for Wx and VK2XSE-1 on the Xastir
> and are you
> receiving these reports into Xastir through an APRS-IS connection?
no
> Do any other WX stations in your APRS-IS feed show the same behavior?
no, but I have not determined if any others I see are using the
Open2300 software

> I'm looking through the source code, and Xastir *is* trying to do the
> right thing with "complete weather reports" (the ones where
> course/speed looks exactly like a station's course and speed, but
> with additional data being present to make it clear that this is a wx
> report, not a moving station). But I'm wondering if Xastir sees the
> data as being its own (because of matching callsign/SSID), and adding
> the course/speed to its internal record of its own course/speed
> before it goes on to parse the weather parts of the record.
>
> Does the behavior change if you change the callsign/ssid of Xastir to
> something different than your external program that's feeding CWOP?
not tested - I tried to set xastir to the OM's callsign, got a suitable
callpass calculated but I didn't get any incoming data, other than
logon confirmation from the servers
I didn't expect xastir to be able to tell the difference and know it
wasn't my callsign.....