[Xastir] Xastir CVS and Debian (solved)

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:47:38 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM, David A Aitcheson
<david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/21/2012 02:38 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

>>> You guessed it, same error
>>> graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat
>>> (only dev package in the list)
>>> would remove libgeotiff-dev and libtiff5-dev

>> It's been 3-4 weeks since I encountered the same issue with Debian
>> Wheezy, but if questionable memory serves me correctly, the issue is
>> that the dev packages for both imagemagick and graphicsmagick depend
>> on an older dev package for libtiff - I believe it is libtiff4-dev.
>> Debian wants to remove libtiff5-dev in order to install libtiff4-dev
>> for magick, and since libgeotiff-dev depends on libtiff5-dev, it wants
>> to remove that as well.
>>
>> I thought the easiest way around the issue would be to just install
>> geotiff from sources.  That did result in a clean configure and make,
>> but surprisingly I still encountered an error when launching Xastir.
>> I was going to play with it some more before posting, but time got
>> away from me.  When I get back to the machine I was using to work with
>> this, I'll provide some additional details on the error(s) if I can't
>> figure out a solution.  I'm wondering if this same issue exists in
>> Ubuntu 12.10.
>>
>> Lee - K5DAT

> Lee,
>
> I have found that one does not need the
> graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat and
> graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat packages for XASTIR to build with
> _ALL_ options available.
>
> Loaded on my system are both graphicsmagick and imagemagick and other
> associated players.  See screenshot of synaptic attached in direct to
> you copy of this email.
>
> Dave
> KB3EFS

As I discussed with Dave separately, his screenshot applies to Ubuntu
12.04, which does not have this issue.  Also, I was referring to
libgraphicsmagick1-dev and libmagickcore-dev for graphicsmagick and
imagemagick respectively as opposed to the 'compat' packages above.

Anyway, I was able to build Xastir with graphicsmagick and geotiff
support by installing libgeotiff from source.  I expect that method to
work with ImageMagick as well. To build Xastir from a recent CVS
download in Debian Wheezy, follow the Ubuntu 12.04 instructions at
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_12.04 with the following
exceptions:

- install libdb5.1-dev instead of libdb4.8-dev
- do not install libgeotiff-dev
- Download libgeotiff 1.4 at
http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.0.tar.gz
- Extract the tarball, which creates a subdirectory named libgeotiff-1.4.0.
- Open a terminal in the subdirectory above and issue the following commands:
     ./configure
      make
      su
      <enter root password>
      make install
      ldconfig
      exit

Lastly when you build Xastir, do not use the
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff" option when executing Xastir's
configure script.  That option is meant for the libgeotiff package in
the Debian repository that is not installed here.

If you are doing the above for the Raspberry Pi, use sudo make install
and sudo ldconfig instead of switching to root via su.

The first time I tried installing geotiff from sources, I forgot
ldconfig, which is why I saw errors previously when I tried to start
Xastir.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT