[Xastir] Davis, Lacrosse weather code modified, need testers.

russo at bogodyn.org russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 5 14:55:15 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 07:04:30PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ka5iid at swbell.net> flavor, containing:
> Tom, I do not have a weather station yet but have been following the thread. Is there a way to put a switch in Xastir to specify what weather station you are using so the data would be correct or would doing it at compile time be a solution. I am not a code weighted so I do not know how difficult it wod be to implement.

Xastir already detects what kind of weather station you are using.  If you
tell Xastir that there's a "serial WX station" on a certain serial port, it
figures out what kind by what sort of data it receives from that port.

This issue impacts ONLY Davis weather stations that are being used
through the Meteo program, and LaCrosse stations that are being used with the
open2300 library.

Xastir supports tons of other weather stations to varying degrees, and my
recent change has NO effect on any of those.

The db2APRS and open2300db2APRS programs are specific to Davis and LaCrosse
stations, and they are specifically "Networked WX" interfaces.  With these
programs, a separate program (not provided by Xastir) fills in a MySQL database
with weather data.  These two programs extract that information from
the database and provide Xastir with a string that it can parse for the
data it needs.

Until my last commit, the string was a completely standard APRS weather
report, now it contains one piece of information that is out of spec for
APRS.  But since the program is intended for use with Xastir, and Xastir can
work whether this bit of information is there or not, I considered
that OK.  (Xastir will read the extra piece of information if it's there, but
doesn't require it. Without that piece of information, Xastir has to leave one
box in the "Own Weather Data" dialog empty, but otherwise works just fine.)

The only question at this point is if there are any people using these two
programs for anything other than Xastir --- they work fine with Xastir as is,
but my latest change makes the programs incompatible with some
possible alternate uses outside of Xastir.

If there are enough people using these two auxilliary programs for a purpose
other than to feed Xastir, then I could make a command line switch for
db2APRS and open2300db2APRS that disables insertion of that extra piece of
information.   But if it's just one or two folks who are able to deal with it
in some other way, then I won't bother.