[Xastir] Fwd: Article on DIXPRS IGate software

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 6 21:44:21 EDT 2012

On 07/09/12 11:26, Lee Bengston wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>> I am currently running v2.2.2 of dixprs on a RPi as the Igate vk2tv-4. It's
>> only been running for two days but looks good. It currently runs with a
>> serial KISS TNC but as soon as I create rc.ax25 it will use kernel ax25
>> KISS.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
> I'm currently running DIXPRS 2.2.2 in Debian Squeeze using ax25
> networking, so I can vouch for it working with ax25 interfaces.  I can
> fire up Xastir on the same machine at any time and share the RF port.
> I'm also running APRSIS32 in Wine using an AGW interface to ldsped,
> which is providing effectively an AGW to ax25 bridge.
>
> One thing to watch when configuring DIXPRS for ax25 - the interface
> reference it is looking for is not the name of the interface in
> axports like Xastir wants, it's the network interface - most commonly
> "ax0".
>
> Regards,
> Lee - K5DAT

Running ax25 interfaces certainly opens up options; I used it
extensively when running a bbs/node and aprs on the one machine. Apart
from the port flexibility it offers there's also the monitoring (listen)
and mheard.

Thanks for the heads up re port names - I'd have used the axports
names!! I did get caught on TXD requiring tens of milliseconds - TXD of
2000ms is really obvious :-)

Ray vk2tv