[Xastir] HF APRS

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:04:39 EDT 2012

>> Newbie question here. I have been doing some research on HF APRS on 30
>> meters. This look very interesting to me. Especially in combination with
>> PSK63. For example,  the work by WA8LMF (
>> http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm). Is there a way to set xastir to
>> do
>> something similar? I really would like to use opensource software for
>> this?
>
> I played with Fldigi a bit at one time trying to do APRS Messenger format on
> the air, but suffered from very high local noise on HF and not enough
> experimenters close enough to me to play.  You're welcome to the stuff I did
> if you want to play in a similar fashion.  I can't even recall now what
> format it took, whether it was a script I added or code I changed in Fldigi
> to do so.  I think it was just a script.

Hey Curt - save a copy for me...   I'd like to get back to that one of
these days...

> Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u

As for Xastir on HF - there's such little APRS-Messenger traffic
you'll find it very boring...    However,   if you can get
APRS-Messenger running somewhere - Xastir should be able to work with
it just like the other applications with Server ports such as UI-View
or APRSISCE.  If you want to use Xastir for HF packet - which has a
more activity than APRS-Messenger PSK style packets - you can use
Xastir to hook to the AGWPE port in the UZ7HO soundcard modem.

  http://uz7.ho.ua/packetradio.htm

There isn't much traffic on 30 meters but it's cool with the packets
start showing up...

73
Bill - WA7NWP