[Xastir] Segfault on indexing maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 16 10:36:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 06:07:29PM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor, containing:
> I've been trying to get some maps to show in xastir without success.
> I'm using xastir from Debian testing
> Xastir V2.0.0
> Compiled: Sat Sep 17 11:11:01 UTC 2011

You mean you're using a binary provided by the Debian testing repository?
If that version has the problems you're describing, you're better off building
from source.  There's nothing we can do to fix Debian's package --- it is not
produced or supported by the Xastir group.  Contact the package maintainer
if you really want to keep using that version, but you would be much better
off pitching the package and building from source code yourself.

Assuming you don't mean that you're using a pre-packaged binary, then there
may be some things you can try.

> Libraries used: AX25 GraphicsMagick libProj GeoTiff ShapeLib PCRE
> Dbfawk map_caching rtree libcurl
>

> I can look at worldhi.map and that's it.
> Attempts to download any maps from Terraserver or OSM just time out.

Tigermaps are gone, the server itself was taken down by the Census several
years ago, and it is not coming back. (They may create a new map server some
day, but even if they do it will be a completely new one and will probably not
work with Xastir without code changes)

OSM should work, but you may be using one of the sets that has moved.  Try
OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo, which is in use by a lot of Xastir users.  If that
also times out then it isn't an issue of a broken URL, and something else
is up with your set-up.

Xastir 2.0.0 is the last formal release we did, but it was done a very long
time ago and there *have* been changes to the code since then.  It is possible
that one of these changes would help you.   You would be better off working
from Xastir CVS than Xastier 2.0.0.

> I have produced some GeoTiff files and tried them, downloaded some .MAP
> files and some .geo and .info files from the Australian APRS web site,
> and any attempt to index those maps results in a segfault.
>
> ======================
> $ xastir
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect
> to: /home/liz/.cache/keyring-KYytHg/pkcs11: No such file or directory

This is not an Xastir issue, and won't be the source of your segfault.

> ***** WARNING *****
> Berkeley DB header files/shared library file do NOT match!
> Disabling use of the map cache.
>  Header file: Berkeley DB 5.1.25: (January 28, 2011)
> Library file: Berkeley DB 5.1.29: (October 25, 2011)
> ***** WARNING *****

You have two choices to fix this:  add the 5.1.25 libraries (you say you
can't find 'em, though) or add the 5.1.29 headers and remove the 5.1.25 headers,
and make sure that configure finds the right matching pair --- you can use
CPPFLAGS to help with that process if your various DB versions are installed
in separate locations (e.g. "CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/db51" or something
similar).

But you're right, this isn't the source of your segfualt.

k>
> Built-in map types:
>       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
>        pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
>        map   APRSdos Maps
>        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
>        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
>        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many
> formats allowed) geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
>        geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
>                   Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
>        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
>        tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
> *** Reading WX Alert log files
> *** Done with WX Alert log files
> Indexing maps...
> GTIFGetDefn failed
> Segmentation fault

This makes it sound like your GeoTIFF install was not built with proj.4 support.
If you installed libgeotiff from a repository, then you need to check that
it pulled in proj.4 as a dependency.  If not, then your best bet is probably
to install proj.4 and libgeotiff from sources instead --- Xastir will not
work with a libgeotiff that has been improperly compiled.  It should not have
segfaulted, though.

You might try reconfiguring and rebuilding Xastir with the following:
  /path/to/xastir/configure CFLAGS="-O0 -g -fno-inline"
  make && sudo make install

and when it segfaults use "gdb" to figure out where it's crashing.