[Xastir] Segfault on indexing maps

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Sep 16 04:07:29 EDT 2012

I've been trying to get some maps to show in xastir without success.
I'm using xastir from Debian testing
Xastir V2.0.0
Compiled: Sat Sep 17 11:11:01 UTC 2011

Libraries used: AX25 GraphicsMagick libProj GeoTiff ShapeLib PCRE
Dbfawk map_caching rtree libcurl

I can look at worldhi.map and that's it.
Attempts to download any maps from Terraserver or OSM just time out.

I have produced some GeoTiff files and tried them, downloaded some .MAP
files and some .geo and .info files from the Australian APRS web site,
and any attempt to index those maps results in a segfault.

======================
$ xastir
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect
to: /home/liz/.cache/keyring-KYytHg/pkcs11: No such file or directory

***** WARNING *****
Berkeley DB header files/shared library file do NOT match!
Disabling use of the map cache.
 Header file: Berkeley DB 5.1.25: (January 28, 2011)
Library file: Berkeley DB 5.1.29: (October 25, 2011)
***** WARNING *****

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many
formats allowed) geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
Indexing maps...
GTIFGetDefn failed
Segmentation fault

I realise that the Berkeley DB warning should not interfere with
viewing maps, only caching maps, but I cannot index any maps. I don't
have access to the Berkeley DB 5.1.25 Libraries which would match the
headers used to compile xastir. I've searched the net for any
information and drawn a blank. Has anyone any suggestions short of
compiling for myself? This is to run on a eeepc 701 and it's short on
brains to compile software.