[Xastir] [Xastir-dev] SourceForge upgrade

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 16 12:51:16 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:30:28AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Git allows working offline, named changesets, sending patches between developers and merging, then deciding which to push out later.  It's also the one used by the Linux kernel developers since the BitKeeper agreement (commercial product) went south.

A counter point here.

These days, Xastir is not undergoing vibrant, constant development.  We have
never used branching in the Xastir repository --- even experimental code has
routinely been done on the single trunk.  CVS does support branching (my work
project uses branching of CVS routinely and effectively), but it has never
been used on this project.  So the fact that Git makes branching easier doesn't
really mean too much.

These days, most of the development is minor bug fixes.  The last real major
feature addition was OSM maps, and that was two years ago.  That means that the
lion's share of activity with the repository is people doing "cvs update" to get
these minor bug fixes, since we've had no release in over two years.  Most
of those are anonymous CVS grabs, not read/write developer access.

As great as Git may be for large projects (it's in use by a major,
multi-million-dollar-per-year library project where I work), I think it is
severe overkill for Xastir.  In my experience, projects that have moved to Git
are much more of a pain to deal with from the point of view of casual
checkouts (which most of our CVS users are doing).  Seems that just to get a
basic checkout requires that one pull down a whole clone of the repository at
the first pass.

If we were really vigorously persuing next-generation Xastir instead of just
fantasizing about it every few years, I'd be game for making such a drastic
switch.  But as it is right now, svn is more than adequate for Xastir's needs,
and then only if Sourceforge forces us to do it.