[Xastir] Is there anyone left running Xorg server 1.7.5?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 19 12:42:08 EDT 2012

Is anyone here still running Xorg-server version 1.7.5, which was released
in 2010?  If not, it's time to remove a bad workaround in Xastir that was stuck
in to deal with that single buggy version of X server.

Back around the end of 2010, xorg-server version 1.7.5 got released and was
adopted as the default in some distros.  This version had a motif-crippling
bug that caused Xastir (and all other Motif programs) to become unusable
when the contextual menu was pulled up --- the cursor would become trapped
in the Xastir window, and could only be released by killing Xastir from
another screen (remote login or virtual terminal).  Xastir was patched to deal
with this, but there was an unpleasant side-effect: the contextual menus no
longer stay up when you click the right button, you have to hold the right
button down now.

The bug in Xorg-server was fixed long ago, but the workaround remains in
Xastir.  Unfortunately, this is not a work-around that can be tested at
configure time and disabled --- the bug is in the X server, not the client, and
one cannot know at compile time whether Xastir will be used with an X server
that has the bug.  Thus we're all stuck with the workaround, even if we're
not using an X server that has that bug.

So, does anyone still have Xorg 1.7.5 installed on the systems they use for
Xastir?  This is the only version of X that ever had the problem, and if
folks are no longer stuck with the broken server, we should unbreak Xastir
so that contextual menus go back to working the way they did before xorg-server
1.7.5 was released.

There's talk of having a 2.0.2 release soon (we haven't had a formal release
since 2010), and this would be a good thing to fix before then.