[Xastir] Olimex A13

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 22 02:19:06 EDT 2013

On 22/04/13 16:03, Liz wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:15:03 +1000
> Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I recently bought an Olimex A13 SBC as a possible replacement for the
>> RPi, anticipating speed advantages from the 1GHz processor and 512MB
>> RAM. The A13 has more I/O options than the RPi - vga video, audio in
>> and out, three external and one internal USB plus lots of GPIO and
>> such. It also runs from a 12v supply. The one downside of the A13 is
>> the lack of on-board ethernet but a $9.00 usb dongle fixed that
>> shortcoming. I bought the A13 without the internal wifi module and
>> have installed vanilla Debian 7.0 on the 8GB micro SD card.
>>
>> Kernel ax25 was compiled without any issues. I struck a couple of
>> dependency issues compiling xastir but all were resolved -
>> graphicsmagic instead of imagemagic and compile geotiff and gdal from
>> sources. Xastir is now working really well with raster maps, well
>> enough that I'm contemplating an Olimex 7" LCD touch screen with a
>> view to a mobile installation of xastir.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
>>
> Sounds really good Ray.
> My problem with mobile screens is not being able to see them at all in
> the bright sunlight. I guess your eyes may be even older than mine,
> with a 2 letter call sign, so I would be interested in how you go
> overall.
> I'm using an original eeepc for the car with Xastir.
> Liz VK2XSE
I'm quite happy with progress so far. Admittedly the the A13 is about
three times the price of the RPi but one gets what one pays for. The A13
was about $90 landed in Oz. The 7" touch screen is another 55 Euro so
about $100 landed. The A13 project is more about brain fodder than
anything else.

The two-letter callsign is vintage 1983, my eyes are vintage 1947 <g>

Ray vk2tv