[Xastir] Non communication with radio

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 19:21:49 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM, John Wilson <kc4lzn at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's partially true. You have the identifier of the device AND the
> physical port you plug it into.

Sorry, but the prolific and USB CDC devices do not have an identifier
unique to the device, unlike the FTDI where every device has a unique
serial number.  Maybe you can identify by the device type, but that
doesn't help if you have more than one.

The location of the device in the USB tree can usually be extracted
under linux (udev rules), but relying on that is a huge pain for a
laptop where the physical arrangement is fluid.

I just brought a CentOS 6 server online that has a 16 port USB/RS232
adapter connected.  I stumbled across a new subdirectory structure in
/dev/serial/by-id that lists each device with its serial number in the
name.

There's also /dev/serial/by-path - this is equivalent to using the USB
path as you suggested (it's a longer name but you get it for free,
without mucking around with udev rules).

-Jason
kg4wsv