[Xastir] Non communication with radio

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 16:58:43 EST 2013

Here are the steps I provided to another ham to designate a specific
adapter to a port.

If you wish to make a more permanent change for your device, you can
follow these instructions for running a rule in UDEV and not have to
worry about your port assignment.

To establish a local rule in linux for your USB device (or any device
for that matter), several steps must be taken to always recognize your
device with a specific name instead of the standard /dev/ttyUSB0 or
USB1, etc.

I retrieved my guidance from this site.

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/18/how-to-write-udev-rules/

I did it for my USB to Serial adapter for my TT4. The adapter I have
is made by plugable.com and has the PL2303 Prolific chip in it that is
good up to Windows 8 and works great with any linux version out there.
The rule I wrote was extracted from the command that was listed in the
website.

First, plug in your adapter. In terminal, type dmesg and press enter.
This will show you where your device was registered to. For example,
mine took the position of ttyUSB0. I then typed:

Code
udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB0)
It spit out a whole string of stuff. In your terminal, there will be
several "paragraphs" of information, each giving a description with
the following paragraph giving more descriptive stuff on your device.
I found out later that you can only take your rule information from
one paragraph. You can't just pick and choose from all of the stuff
you see. Each paragraph started off with "looking at parent device"
and I chose as much information from one of the lower paragraphs, so
as not to confuse it with anything else.

For this particular device, there is not a serial number. What
differentiates this device from all the rest is the physical location
that I plugged it into. That is identified by the "KERNELS=="2-2""
listed below. If you were to plug it into another location, it may be
2-1 or 3-2, however your computer assigns its ports.

Open your text editor and write a rule. I wrote a rule, just as it
stated and saved it in the /etc/udev/ruled.d/ directory, naming it
60-aprsisce.rules. Depending on the version of Linux you are using,
you will have to be a super user to save to this directory. I saved
the rule with the following information in it.

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="USB-Serial Controller D",
KERNELS=="2-2", SYMLINK+="tt4"

Be very vigil in typing the information extracted from the previous
command or you will have failures.

Disconnect the device and reconnect into the same port.

In terminal, type:

Code
ls -al /dev | grep USB0
and it should list the new device you just created a rule for.

In the above rule, the portion of "SYMLINK" is the name you are giving
your new device. In this instance, I am using a Tiny Tracker 4 with
this device so I named it "TT4". You can name it anything that works
for you. Also remember, the KERNELS may be different, depending on
where you plug in your device. The ATTRS{product} will also be
different, dependent on the manufacturer of your device.

When you create your symbolic link, make sure you direct it to your
newly named device, instead of the standard /dev/ttyUSB0. For example:

Code
ln -s /dev/tt4 .wine/dosdevices/com1
(or whatever com number you wish to designate)

Remember, the device with its new name should be listed in the /dev
directory and you should use that for your symbolic link command.

73 John