[Xastir] Trouble restoring existing system after disk crash

Nigel Johnson, MIEEE nw.johnson at ieee.org
Wed Dec 25 20:20:36 EST 2013

I wonder if someone can give me an idea where to continue troubleshooting.  I have been using xastir only as an igate for several years already, loaded into a headless embedded PC in a boiler room at the top of my condo.

Last week, the hard drive crashed.

So I rebuilt the system with a later version of SuSE linux, (13.1), downloaded the latest version of xastir and manually loaded all my parameters.  I have a serial connection as device 0 on /dev/ttyUSB0 going to a Argent data OT2. My broadband internet is connected to the box, and I am able to control everything from  my apt, using vnc.  I have set up device 1 connected to noam.aprs2.net:14580 and can see traffic coming in from my OT2 on device 1 as well as from the tier 2 server.  I have also tried ontario.aprs2.net.  In all cases I see myself logging in to the server and being acknowledged.

Problem is, none of my received packets are getting into the net. If I lok at my portable, ve3id-7 on aprs.fi, the last I see was back on the 21st of December when I was picked up by another igate.

I have tried just about every combination of most of the parameters, and have been trying to get this to work for over a day now.  I even went to the crashed drive and recovered the xastir.cnf file and copied it ot the new system, still no position reports.

Cab anybody give me any ideas what else to check?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nigel ve3id

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

http://nigel.homelinux.net
http://va3mcu.ham-radio-op.net

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
    Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message