[Xastir] Yet another setup...

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 12:22:08 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> The Pi keeps on shutting down, so while I wait for the store that sells
> electronic components to reopen after New Year, I'm trying the eeepc on
> the job.
>
> I've got ax25 setup and controlling the radio, aprx working.
> Reinstalled Xastir from xastir205-debian7-i386-2013-Mar25.deb
> chmod 4755 /usr/bin/xastir

That binary was built specifically for Debian Wheezy, so I assume that is
what is installed on your EEE-PC?  I have an EEE-PC myself, but it's
running Xubuntu 13.10.  So far all I can think of is that possibly libax25
has been updated in Wheezy since that binary was built (back in March).
 When you do a "help/about" in Xastir, does it show the version of libax25
with which it was built?  If yes, does that match the version that is
currently installed?

> Trying to use the ax25 port in Xastir, I get
> socket: Operation not permitted
> {date}
> Interface Error! Error opening interface 5 Hard Fail
>
> That looks like the same error that happens when there's a permissions
problem, but I see it still happens after chmod 4755 and if you run
Xastir as the root user.  I assume you are using a USB to serial adapter.
 I have a Keyspan USB to serial adapter that refuses to work with AX25
networking - works fine in Linux if I use it simply as a serial port
connected to a TNC but not with AX25.  My FTDI and Prolific based adapters
don't behave that way.  So one possibility is to try a different adapter if
you have one.

Lee - K5DAT