[Xastir] Yet another setup...

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Dec 31 18:26:33 EST 2013

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:22:08 -0500
Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> > The Pi keeps on shutting down, so while I wait for the store that
> > sells electronic components to reopen after New Year, I'm trying
> > the eeepc on the job.
> >
> > I've got ax25 setup and controlling the radio, aprx working.
> > Reinstalled Xastir from xastir205-debian7-i386-2013-Mar25.deb
> > chmod 4755 /usr/bin/xastir
> >

> That binary was built specifically for Debian Wheezy, so I assume
> that is what is installed on your EEE-PC?  I have an EEE-PC myself,
> but it's running Xubuntu 13.10.  So far all I can think of is that
> possibly libax25 has been updated in Wheezy since that binary was
> built (back in March). When you do a "help/about" in Xastir, does it
> show the version of libax25 with which it was built?  If yes, does
> that match the version that is currently installed?
>

> > Trying to use the ax25 port in Xastir, I get
> > socket: Operation not permitted
> > {date}
> > Interface Error! Error opening interface 5 Hard Fail
> >
> > That looks like the same error that happens when there's a
> > permissions
> problem, but I see it still happens after chmod 4755 and if you run
> Xastir as the root user.  I assume you are using a USB to serial
> adapter. I have a Keyspan USB to serial adapter that refuses to work
> with AX25 networking - works fine in Linux if I use it simply as a
> serial port connected to a TNC but not with AX25.  My FTDI and
> Prolific based adapters don't behave that way.  So one possibility is
> to try a different adapter if you have one.
>
> Lee - K5DAT

Thanks Lee
I recompiled Xastir on the desktop (also i386) for speed and
transferred it to the eeepc. I have both on Jessie/Sid and confirmed
that the ax25 libraries were the same.
chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir
and it worked!
I didn't need to try alternate hardware for the USB-serial converter.

Some other problems that I struck using the latest development tar.gz
and making a debian package with checkinstall was that there is
hardcoded somewhere a script which looks in /usr/share/xastir/symbols/
and fails when they aren't there. I made a symlink to solve that, but I
still have a black box on my taskbar instead of a 4WD icon.
Then I transferred all my dbfawk files back into config so the maps
were readable.

[checkinstall installs locally built packages in /usr/local/ ]

Liz
VK2XSE